When to Look for an OB/GYN

When to Look for an OB/GYN

Women’s reproductive system is elaborate and can be prone to diseases or dysfunction. Some common reproductive health issues include HIV/AIDs, sexually transmitted diseases, cervical cancers, and more. Women’s sexual health problems can be controlled by seeking the attention of an OB/GYN, such as Dr. Pamela Snook, before the disease escalates.

Here are the conditions that an OB/GYN treats.


Endometriosis is when the lining of the uterus (the endometrium) grows outside the uterus. The endometrium normally lines the inside of your uterus and helps prepare it for pregnancy. Endometriosis may develop on other body parts (such as your ovaries or the pelvis) or around your fallopian tubes and abdomen. The growths can cause pain and infertility in women.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is a gynecological infection that can affect women of all ages but is more common in sexually active teenagers and young adults. PID is caused by bacteria entering through small breaks in the wall of the fallopian tubes. In women with PID, this bacteria causes inflammation in nearby organs, including ovaries, fallopian tubes, and other pelvic organs, such as the bladder and bowels. PID can lead to serious complications such as infertility and chronic pelvic pain (pain lasting more than six months).

Uterine fibroids

Uterine fibroids are noncancerous tumors that develop in the uterus and can cause pain, heavy menstrual bleeding, and possibly problems with pregnancy. Uterine fibroids are common and usually do not require treatment. However, they can grow and cause complications. If you are having symptoms of uterine fibroids or want to be sure your condition is not advanced, talk to your doctor about the best way to diagnose them. You may need an ultrasound or pelvic exam to look inside your uterus.

Gynecologic cancers

Gynecologic cancers start in the reproductive organs, such as the uterus, ovaries, and fallopian tubes. The risk of developing these cancers increases with age. However, younger women can develop these types of cancers.

If you are experiencing heavy vaginal bleeding, pressure or pelvic pain, vomiting or nausea, or pain during sexual intercourse, talk to your OB/GYN.

Pregnant with a positive HIV/AIDs status

If you get pregnant and have a positive pregnancy test, you should see an OB/GYN immediately. An early diagnosis of HIV can improve your chances of survival, prevent the transmission of the virus to your baby, and significantly reduce the risk of mother-to-child transmission (MTCT). Your health physician will determine if you are HIV-positive by examining your blood or other tests. If so, they can also recommend medication that will help keep you healthy during pregnancy.

Interstitial cystitis

In interstitial cystitis, a cyst occurs in the tissue around the urethra. This cyst can cause shortness of breath or pain in your abdomen or pelvis. It’s essential to see a gynecologist if you have symptoms that last more than two weeks, pain during urination, or vaginal discharge that doesn’t go away after treatment with oral medications.

An OB/GYN performs routine gynecological exams and tests, including Pap smears, pelvic exams, breast exams, and sexually transmitted disease screenings. Schedule an online meeting with a board-certified OB/GYN at Contemporary Women’s Care.

Category Health

Skye Marshall

Ivy Skye Marshall: Ivy, a social justice reporter, covers human rights issues, social movements, and stories of community resilience.